Where: Portland, OR
Friends and I were looking through Cowslip's drawings of pokemon in human form (called gijinka) when I fell in love with her Chansey design and had to give it a go. It was only for a small local event and I managed to get the costume done in a week. I loved making it but was sad that no one recognised the design, and even more depressed after because no one came to talk to me about the costume and the photos I got of it weren't very good.
I had to change the design a little because of time restraints and the fact that the proportions on the design compared to a real human body didn't quite work the same way. But I tried to get it as accurate as I could. I also didn't have a sewing machine at the time so the entire thing was made by hand.
You can see the final costume here
I bought the fabrics and got a dress pattern that was close enough to the original that it wouldn't need much tweaking.
I extended the sleeves using the darker pink.
I needed to put it on and off a lot in order to get the fitting just right.
The edging was finished with bias binding to stop fraying.
I added detail to the bow and pocket using bias binding.
I painted the design on using acrylic paint. It's really good for painting patters onto costumes (although not clothes you want to wear everyday). The only problem is that you need to be reeaaally careful because once acrylic goes onto a fabric it's really hard to get off. I accidentally let a few splodges wander here and there on the skirt >_<